Thursday, March 8, 2007

Amazon-Style Journalism

I asked in class if anyone thought there was journalism happening at Amazon.com. I am interested to hear what folks have to say. For me, long ago, I realized that sites like Amazon.com that have both editorial reviews and user-based reviews are showcasing some fine journalism. I use it all the time to figure out whether or not to buy something. Often, the user reviews are more helpful to me than the series of 30-second sound clips.

Today I was checking out the reviews for the new Clap Your Hands Say Yeah CD Some Loud Thunder. The user reviews, as usual, run the gamut from awesome to awful.

The lead customer review, written by Adam P. Newton "Dryvetime," unveils some mighty fine writing. And it assues me I do, in fact, want to pick up this CD.

Newton writes:
So, when news surrounding the release of their second album, entitled Some Loud
Thunder, began leaking out, people obviously began to wonder what might happen
to CYHSY. Would the album be worth anything? Would the band do it all over
again? What was going on?!? The last thing indie rock needed was for its poster
band for true independence to release an album that sucked or, even worse,
actually sign to a label, indie or otherwise. Well, rest easy all of you skinny,
unwashed, messenger bag-carrying masses - Some Loud Thunder is a quality album
that's filled with better songs and greater focus than the debut.

There are less distinguished reviews, like this all-caps one from Chris J. Marksbury:
PRODUCTION SUCKS THE LIFE OUTTA THIS RELEASE. GIVES ME A HEADACHE. WHINING,
WHINING...THE VOCALS ARE REAL PATHETIC. SAVE YOUR MONEY.

But even that I find entertaining and somewhat helpful.

So the answer to my own question: Yes, there is journalism at Amazon.com. And some of it is top-notch.

No comments: